Saturday, June 27, 2009

POtW: Winter School

Built in 1870, the Winter School (named for M.S. Winter who donated the land) continues to overlook the Farmer's Turnpike and Interstate 70. Formally known as District 70, this one-room schoolhouse taught children from 1870 until 1946. The district was disorganized in 1949 and the property was distributed among Pleasant Valley No. 14, Lecompton No. 36 and Yarnold No. 40.

Efforts were made to preserve the school and the surrounding grounds but eventually vandals and decay took over and the school now stands alone near the county road. A large bell in the school's belfry was destroyed when unknown people attempted to steal it.
Winter School

No comments: