“It is my fundamental philosophy that patients are emotionally, mentally, morally, spiritually and physically competent to struggle with complex health issues and come to decisions that are appropriate for them.” - Dr. George Tiller
Four years ago Dr. Tiller, an abortion provider in Wichita, Kansas, was murdered. Today we remember his courageous and compassionate work as both a health care provider and a women’s health advocate.
In America we don’t fight problems, we fight each other over symptoms of problems. We don’t prevent poverty and under-funded education, we fight criminals. We don’t prevent the Mideast injustice that drives people to fanaticism, we fight terrorism. And we don’t prevent unwanted pregnancies, we fight each other over abortion.
Which brings us to the alleged and presumed monster that is Philadelphia abortion provider Dr. Kermit Gosnell.
Now, if you followed this trial you know his former employees have said that until a few years ago, Dr. Gosnell mostly performed first and second trimester abortions. But his clinic had a poor rep and soon he was only able to attract poor, desperate women who couldn’t terminate pregnancies elsewhere.
And so he came to embody every ugly, murderous, right-wing stereotype about abortion providers. According to the prosecution, this guy killed viable babies — after illegally delivering them. He overdosed his patients with dangerous drugs, nothing was sterilized, body parts were kept and stored in disgusting conditions, he perforated the wombs of his patients, gave them venereal diseases through infected instruments, made his staff do unspeakable things and apparently directly caused the deaths of at least two of his patients. Illegal top to bottom. Everything rabid anti-Roe v. Wade people say about abortion — this guy allegedly, apparently, really did. The defense called no witnesses.
Now in the past, when someone ran a business as poorly and as incompetently with such rank indifference to human life as Kermit Gosnell, they were offered a no-bid contract by the Bush/Cheney administration.
But the right wing has tried to exploit these crimes to help further their grand goal — overturning Roe v. Wade and eliminating all abortions.
And they’ve never been more wrong.
Not just because they don’t really believe their own mantra that all human life is sacred — only in America can you be pro-death penalty, pro-torture, pro-euthanasia, pro-drones, pro-pre-emptive war, pro-NRA, pro-assault weapons and still call yourself pro-life.
They’re wrong because the practices of Dr. Kermit Gosnell are exactly what they’re inadvertently fighting for.
See, the anti-Roe v. Wade folks think it’s disgusting that this guy would give the public a peek into what all abortion clinics would look like if they finally did overturn Roe v. Wade.
But this is the most painfully clear look at what would happen if women are denied access to safe, regulated reproductive health services — including legal abortions.
Now, I’d like to think this could be a chance for our anti-Roe v. Wade friends to finally realize that those who support women’s reproductive freedom aren’t “pro-abortion.” You know why? Because nobody has ever been pro-abortion.
Every last liberal, moderate and conservative who support Roe v. Wade would love a world with no abortion. You think abortion’s fun, pro-life people? “Hey, what should we do tonight? Oh, ‘Game of Thrones’ is a re-run, let’s have abortions!”
And you’d think that everyone would be opposed to a return to the day of unsafe back alley abortion providers — but if you overturn Roe, abortion’s not going to end. You can’t end it. You can either work together as a society to reduce unwanted pregnancies, or you can make it illegal and unsafe.
The only thing we know for sure is that the right isn’t fighting for an end to abortion — they’re really fighting for more Kermit Gosnells. In every state. Unsafe, unregulated, under the radar.
We don’t know how many Kermit Gosnells are already doing this — exploiting poor women. All we do know is that if men could get pregnant, all abortion would be safe and free — and macho schmucks in locker rooms would be bragging over who’s had the most.
Tim Huelskamp is a Republican congressman representing the 1st District of Kansas. Sometimes he tweets stupid stuff on Twitter like this gem where he flat out lies about taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood. Current law states that Planned Parenthood cannot use taxpayer money to pay for abortions which is why when you go to pay for your $300-1,000 abortion, you pay the full price. In fact, abortion counts for only 3% of what Planned Parenthood actually does. The rest of the time, they are educating teens and young adults about sex and how to do it safely and helping women get screenings for breast cancer. Those bastards.
To see the original tweet, go here.
You can also follow the Planned Parenthood Tumblr.
People have been yelling at Michael Ian Black on Twitter for his anti-gun, commie-pinko-liberal comments related to the Sandy Hook shooting. Normally I just scroll right on by without even thinking twice about it but for some reason I stopped at this conversation and looked at the whole thing and noticed several things.
1) Alcohol and cars were not designed to kill people. Alcohol was originally used as an eyeliner and antiseptic. Cars were made to take people from point A to point B faster than a horse. Knives can be used to kill people, although at a much slower rate than a semi-automatic gun with a 150-round clip. If I had to choose, I’d take my chances with a knife.
2) I agree that the massive semi-automatic/automatic guns serve no purpose. Why do you need a gun except for hunting or, and I will give this to you, protection and a true hunter would never use an automatic gun for hunting and if you shot at someone breaking into your house, why would you kill them? Just shoot them in the leg. Why don’t you let our judicial system handle it like the constitution says?
3) Did he really just compare guns to gay sex? What societal purpose does gay sex serve? None. Just like having sex while on birth control or with your tubes tied or after getting a vasectomy. Some people would even argue that if you don’t make a baby after having sex then that sex served no purpose. If you’ve ever had sex that didn’t produce a baby then you don’t get to use that argument.
4) Pornography serves about as much purpose as prostitution, the world’s oldest profession, and studies have shown that sexual assaults go down when pornography is legal.
5) Art? Are you kidding me? It gives people a creative outlet. It helps show people the beauty in ordinary things. It keeps minds active and it’s one of the many things that separate humans from animals.
6) Abortion can be used as population control (Earth only has a limited supply of natural resources and food around the world is becoming harder to come by). It also can keep people who can’t afford to take care a baby from sucking at the government teat.
7) Guns’ societal purpose is much more vague. Guns can be used ONLY to kill. They weren’t designed to do anything else other than kill something. When you pick up a gun, you think “I’m going to kill something with this” while when you get in a car you think “I’m going to go to the store.” Even with knives, which can be used to kill things, they can also be used to carve, cut, whittle and other things because knives are considered tools. Guns are weapons.
The reality is that so-called pro-life movement is not about saving babies. It’s about punishing women for having sex. That’s why they oppose birth control. That’s why they want to ban abortion even though doing so will simply drive women to have dangerous back alley abortions. That’s why they want to penalize women who take public assistance and then dare to have sex, leaving an exemption for those who become pregnant from rape. It’s not about babies. If it were about babies, they would be making access to birth control widespread and free and creating a comprehensive social safety net so that no woman finds herself with a pregnancy she can’t afford. They would be raising money for research on why half of all zygotes fail to implant and working to prevent miscarriages. It’s not about babies. It’s about controlling women. It’s about making sure they have consequences for having unapproved sex.
The bottom line is that they don’t want to have a rape exception for abortions. Do you know that in 31 states, the rapist father would get to have visitation rights with that child? So, the victim would have to be forced to see her rapist for next eighteen years on a weekly basis. How do you justify something that hideous and barbaric? You say she wouldn’t have gotten pregnant if it was a legitimate rape or that God intended it anyway.
But how about Mitt Romney’s position that you can have an exception for rape or incest. Okay, how do you prove that you qualify for that exception? Whose responsibility is it to show that it happened? What evidence do you have to present? Do you have to have a conviction first? Wouldn’t that make it too late? If later the man is acquitted, does the woman go to prison for getting the abortion?
Will there be rape panels to decide if someone was actually raped? Someone has to decide if they get the exception or not, right? How will the woman convince the rape panel that she has been raped?
As a pastor who has counseled hundreds of women regarding unintended pregnancies, including women who have suffered awful violence in their lives, I was both saddened and horrified hearing the callousness of Richard Mourdock’s words. How could his heart be so hard? God compels us towards acts of profound justice, compassion, and peace. God calls us to be in caring relationships with those who have suffered the most in this world. We are to bear witness and listen, mindful to not let our arrogance and hubris lead us astray.
Read more responses to Richard Mourdock from the faith community here. (via think-progress)
My argument about Mourdock’s “rape is God’s plan” sentiment is what kind of god tells someone to rape another person? That doesn’t sound like a god I want to be associated with.
Planned Parenthood is the largest abortion chain in the United States doing a staggering 330,000 abortions EVERY year. The abortion giant does this with more than $480 million in YOUR tax money.
Actually, because of the Hyde Amendment, NONE of your tax money funds abortions! Because of the contraception and education they provide, Planned Parenthood prevents more abortions than they provide to the tune of 800,000 fewer abortions per year! Congratulations on being an ignorant douchecake!
if he wants to be a father so bad go fucking adopt.
I see the Nice Guy movement is taking on abortion.
- If he wanted to have a child so badly maybe he could, oh I dunno, find a willing partner to have a child with? If he gets someone pregnant and she doesn’t want to be a parent, maybe that’s not the best way to start a family.
- If he’s having such a hard time finding a woman who will willingly bear his children that he has to protest, maybe he’s a fucking asshole. Maybe it’s for the best that he’s never a father.
Men protesting against abortion rights are the worst kind of men.
This is ridiculous. “Men regret lost fatherhood?” Really? I think what he should regret is losing the tweezers. The guy needs to wax or pluck the wookie on his forehead.
That said….As a man, husband, brother, son, father. What I would regret is the women in my life not having a choice or the ability to decide what is best for her.
Also, these comments are killing me!
Has this guy gone through the emotional rollercoaster of his significant other getting an abortion? If not then he needs to put the sign down and put a few more miles on his life and quit telling others what to do about something he doesn’t understand.